Here are some warning signs that every resident should know about. It reiterates why it is important to keep your pavement neat and tidy and remove all possible markers. Be aware all the times.
Main warning signs:
Z painted on a stop sign or on the road Houses in street targeted for burglary
Pile of little stones Warns of dogs
Two big stones together Two old people living inside
Stones placed in a row Indicates how many people in the house
Swastika painted on road Houses in street targeted for burglary. Direction of swastika indicates which house is the target.
Brick Indicates car to be stolen
2 or 3 bricks House robbery
Red: coke tin, red cloth, crisp packet Can expect resistance
Coke tin – opening towards house Someone is home
Upright coke tin Nobody home
White: sorghum carton, plastic bag Easy target
Sorghum carton facing towards house Target marked
White plastic bag in fence Easy target
Green: direction of bottle indication the direction to proceed Direction marker
Blue and/or blue a white (clicks packets) Easy target and someone inside will help
Black Stock theft
Simba/Lays chips packets Normally neatly folded, but sometimes weighed down by something inside the packet
Crisp packet – facing the house Owner at home
Crisp packet – facing the road No-one at home
Shoes and shoesoles near or by gate No-one home and direction of shoes indicates the escape route
Other warning signs:
- Wrong number on your house or cell phone – checking if you are home.
- Electricity off at the main box – when you go out to check, the house is open and the people inside are soft targets.
- Strange items in front of your house, ie cardboard box, bricks, neighbour’s tree branch. Do not stop to remove or you will be a soft target. Phone police or security company to assist you.
- Poisoning: If a dog dies suddenly or vomits, check for black specks in the vomit or white powder near the dog. Please report all dog poisonings to the SAPS who MUST give you a case number.
- Listen to your barking dog.
- Immediately remove and dispose of all markers.
- Paint over painted signs.
- Keep your pavement neat and tidy.
Be aware at all times.
Find out more about this site.